Thursday, August 16, 2012

Electronic babysitters

Electronic babysitters are more and more common nowdays. Its so easy for parents who need a little break (and lets be honest, what parent doesnt need a break now and then?) to just pop in a movie or let them play with the ipad or hand held game. I admit we are guilty of this. Far more then I ever wanted to be. When we moved Kianna over from her crib to her "big girl" bed last fall transition was rough so we gave her the ipad with netflix at bedtime to keep her in bed. Well, we let it go longer then we wanted to and now she is hooked. Something that we both knew for a while we needed to wean her off it but neither of us wanting to be the "bad guy".  Last night we decided tonight is the night. Chadd read some books to her on the couch and we let her have the ipad for 1 episode of something. We explained when the episode was over do not start another one. Suprisingly as soon as it was over she came into our room and told us "its ober". Chadd went to take it away and she was a little upset over that but he had a little chat with her and a little hard daddy love and she went right to sleep in her bed without the ipad. So its not perfect yet, but for now I'm ok with 1 episode before bed. Eventually we plan to take it away completely at bedtime. 
     I also realized that she watches tv way too much during the day. I dont like quiet so I have always just had the tv on, if I was watching it or not. I just wanted noise. Well once Addy was born it just because easier to let Ki watch tv. I knew where she was and she wasnt getting into trouble. Again, I knew it was not great parenting and I hated how much she watched tv but I was powerless against the electronics.  Well this week we decided enough. So yesterday Kianna and I started memorizing bible verses and playing her color match game. In one day she knows "God is love" 1 John 4:8 .  I plan to get some workbooks for her this weekend and do a little "school" with her just to keep her entertained. She is a very bright child, she just needs somewhere to let her creativity go.
   I just want to encourage you as a parent to turn off the electronic babysitters and do something. I know its easier for mama to just let the tv on but whats it doing to our kids?? Isnt that what we are here for? To teach our kids? I admit its a little rough on mama here to not get as much of a break during the day but I know in the long run I want Kianna to be knowledgeable and creative.

No comments:

Swidget 1.0 3