Monday, August 30, 2010

Other families

Ok so this is going to be a "deep" post. Lol. On one of my mommy chat boards I frequent there was a thread started today about the Duggar Family. Now there is alot of controversy about the Duggars. Some of the main issues people have with them are
-They have too many kids, they cant possibly be a good parent to them all
- They dont use cloth diapers, think of all the disposable diapers in the land fill (Come on- would you really want to add 2 or 3 kids in cloth diapers laundry to the already crazy laundry schedule they must have? Yeah Im all for cloth diapers but I can totally see why they wouldnt want to!)
- They use styrofoam cups and drink *gasp* sodas!!
- They use forms of discipline (Most of my mommy boards are very much against any form of discipline. I totally disagree but I keep that to myself)

So I just have to say that honestly I think people that bash other families, Duggar family included are just childish. I mean who is to say that one way of living is right for every family? I have a friend that lives in a yurt, has no running water, no electricity, veggie oil car instead of gas. . . etc. . .Now that way of living is not for me but who am I to say that she shouldnt live that way if she wants to? She is very happy so who is to say it doesnt work for her family? Then I have family and friends that use disposable diapers, dont make there own laundry soap, use alot of paper products . . .etc. And Who am I to say that they are living bad? Thats what works for them and so more power to them. I cant understand why so many people think that there way of living and parenting is the only way. Im sure there are people that think my way of parenting is not right, thats fine, it works for us! I have some people that are giving me crazy looks cause I said Im working on weaning Kianna slowly, one feeding at a time for the next 2 months.Well, breast feeding til they are 2 or 3 might work for some people but not me.
Oh well. All I can say now is I think the duggars are very sweet family. Yes they may do things that some people think is crazy and this day in age having 19 kids is considered insane but they are happy so who cares?

4 comments:

Chelsa said...

i totally agree! i hate when people get their panties in a wad about the duggers (or any other family)... i love the duggers- but would not want 19 kids for myself!

God made us all different for a reason!

Shannon said...

Its sad isnt it? I dont know 2 families that are exactly alike. My mommy websites are really bad for bashing people that arent just like them. I kinda keep most of my parenting skills to myself on there! Lol

SONDRA PRICE said...

I completely agree! I love their show. They are God-fearing Christians who while they have many children, seem to be raising them with more morales and values than many one child families today. While it's not my choice of lifestyle, good for them that they feel God has chosen it for them.

Kelly said...

yes I totally agree with you Shannon. I think a lot of people bash other parenting styles or specifically other mothers is because they feel bad about themselves. If they give formula they are lazy but if they breastfeed till 2 or 3 they are lazy for not weaning. If you co-sleep you are negligent or to another person you are a caring parent who wants your kids to feel close to you...I mean there is a flipside to everything.
I hate judging. I hate when I find myself doing it. Thanks for the reminder that everyone is different and we are all do the best we can with what we've got, and what's comfortable for our families.

Swidget 1.0 3