Thursday, December 31, 2009

Starting the new year off right

Our goal for 2010 is 1- to become healthier, eat less junk food & more raw veggies and fruit. And also to exercise regularly and 2- to live a little more thrifty and green!
Here's some Green living tips i have picked up so far

*Make your own laundry soap. Not only cheaper but also better because it doesnt have chemicals in it.
1 Cup borax
1 Cup Washing Soda (NOT BAKING SODA)
1 bar of soap
Cut bar of soap into small chunks and place in food processor to grind to a fine powder. Add to washing soda and borax. Store in airtight container. Add 2-3 Tablespoons to eat load.
(I found washing soda and borax at Rural king)

*Use Vinegar to clean instead of smelly cleaners. Mix it in a spray bottle with 1 part vinegar and 3 parts water and spray on almost anything, Bathtub, toilet, sink, floors, kitchen counters. . . It also works as a disinfectant.

*Make your own dusting spray- 1 part lemon juice, 3 parts almond oil.

*Make more Crockpot meals because its much cheaper to run your crockpot than your stove.
Crockpot recipes here and here

*RECYCLE!! If you dont already, consider it. Especially if you have to pay to haul your trash away. We pay per bag we have to take to the landfill so everything we can recycle is less we have to pay since its free to recycle.

*Use coffee grounds as fertilizer on your garden. Some coffee shops will save the grounds for you if you ask. I know Starbucks does.

*Make your own Clorox wipes by getting some cheap washclothes at walmart or where ever. Place them in a old baby wipe container and mix a solution on them. You can use whatever you want, some water and clorox, water and vinegar...etc.

*I also bought a Libman wondermop. Its the one with the washable head. You still have to replace the head every few months but i have had mine 4 months so far and havent bought a new head yet. The mop is $7 at walmart and the heads are $4 a piece I think. I used to have a Swiffer wetjet but the solution and mop pads were so expensive. Finally the swiffer broke so instead of replacing it I just bought a wondermop. I love it!

*This isnt necessarily for everyone but in my case I cloth diaper Kianna and also am going to start using cloth wipes when I run out of the disposable wipes I have now. Its easy to make them, just get some cheap washclothes or buy a yard of cotton flannel and make squares. Place in old wet wipe container to store . Fill a spray bottle with water and a little soap and just squirt each cloth before using.

No comments:

Swidget 1.0 3